Annual Golf Event July 19th 2017
An appeal to support our RotaKids Club
Our Corporate Members
Where & When we meet
Description of our website – contents
- Our calendar – see ‘Future Events’ on left hand side menu
- Links to our Facebook and Twitter accounts – see the links on the right hand side
- Links to our photo library of pictures past and present – see the link to Flickr on the right hand side
- A members only area – see ‘Members’ on the left hand side menu
- A menu for each of our areas of activity
- Community – local, national and international
- The Rotary Charity – known as Foundation
- New Generations – events and projects to help local young people
- A record of some of our Monday meetings – see ‘Monday meetings’ on the left hand side menu
Just follow our menu on the left of the page or look for the links on the right hand side. But firstly let us introduce you to our club.
[Back to top]
Introduction to our club
Our Rotary Club works with other clubs in the area to increase the impact and value of Rotary service to the local community.
Every year we organise a sponsored walk to enable local organisations to raise money for their own cause. So far over £300,000 has been raised for local groups. We also tour Church & Oswaldtwistle with the Christmas Float in December.
Groups of club members have been on trips to South Africa and Sardinia. The club is currently working on a water project in Nepal and some of our members visited the Gorka Rotary club in 2016 to see the progress of the project.
Rotary in Church & Oswaldtwistle.
- There are 1.2 million Rotarians in the world and wherever you are there is almost bound to be one of the 32,000 clubs near at hand. If you are a member you are sure of a warm welcome at them all.
- Rotary recently celebrated its 100th year. Church & Oswaldtwistle Rotary club was founded in 1952.
- We have some 35 members, men and women, living or working in Hyndburn and surrounding areas.
- We normally meet, weekly, on a Monday at 12.15pm, and conclude our business by 1:45pm. To allow working members to participate more fully, our first meeting of the month is at 6.45pm.
Projects and Activities
To get an idea of what we do here are some examples of projects we get involved in:-
The Rotary Walk
An annual event where we organise a walk on behalf of other charities. People register to walk and find sponsors for a charity they support. Each walker, or team of walkers, collect the money after successful completion of the walk and pay it to their nominated charity. This can be in excess of £50,000 in a good year.
we organise a local competition for schools in the area with our sister club AccringtonRotary club
Again a joint project with other local Rotary clubs to get young people at school interested in technology. It is kindly sponsored by BAE systems
Each year to the delight of kids and their mums (!) we persuade Santa to ride his sleigh around Church and Oswaldtwistle and on a pre-publicised route. Check this website and the papers to see when he will be riding down your street!
Nepal Water Project
We are working with a Rotary club in Nepal on a major project to provide water to a village which is perched on top of a hill. The only water available at present is at the bottom of the hill. We have the support of many local clubs to help raise the £60,000 needed for this project.]
Back to top